Sunday, December 11, 2011

Attributes of a Virtuous Woman - 1

I am so thankful that the Lord has given women the wonderful examples of virtuous women in scripture. There are countless women in scripture who I look up to dearly. Mary, Abigail, Elizabeth, Esther, Ruth, Rachel...the list goes on. These women attain virtues that I find so beautiful. Their hearts were completely enraptured in the love of Christ. Their reputations didn't matter, their safety didn't matter, their desires didn't matter, they were able and willing to surrender to the Lord regardless of the outcome or circumstance that arose. One of my favorite stories would have to be of Mary in Luke 1. I just love how God chose her, above all women, to bear the Son of God. When she was perplexed and asked how it could be, she continued with replying, "Let it be done to me, according to your word." Mary bowed her knee to the One true God. She trusted in His plan, and even though she couldn't fully understand why, or how, she was willing to do whatever the Holy Spirit spoke of. To me, that is a godly virtuous woman.

There are so many attributes to being a virtuous woman. Most we will not be able to attain apart from the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives, yet we as women in Christ ought to be praying daily to be conformed more into the image of Jesus. We should yearn to grow more in the grace and knowledge of Christ. We should desire to grow into godly women, women of virtue, excellence, honor and strength. Every day is a learning process, and each new day gives us new abilities to have our eyes open to what God wants to do in and through us.

I really want to write the next few blog posts about different attributes the virtuous woman attains. I love this, because for me, I know I need to learn these things over and over again. I am yearning to grow more into a woman of excellence. A woman of holiness, righteousness, honor, humility, and so on. I know that I fail every day. I don't attain these, I struggle with keeping a pure heart, and I fail at walking a lifestyle of godliness all the time. I have to honestly sit in awe at the wonder of who God is. Knowing that He chose me, foolish, wretched, sinful and awful as I am..to love others, encourage others, pray for others, and be held accountable for the work of the ministry. I love what it says in 1 Timothy 1:15, "This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief." When I think about that, I can't help but to think of where the Lord has brought me up out of. So many things He saved me from, then used for His glory to put me into the ministry. It's incredible. My heart is for the women. My heart is to encourage, pray for, build up, and exhort them. I love that as women and sisters in Christ, we can grow in each other's burdens, love one another, encourage one another, pray for one another. I can only pray that the Lord would continue giving me a heart to grow more into a Titus 2 woman. A woman of respect, humility, honor and virtue.

So, as I study up and continue growing in whatever the Lord wants me to write about (which, I'm so thankful any of you even READ these! hahaha) I pray that you are encouraged, challenged, convicted, comforted, loved, peaceful, restful, and I, too, will pray for the same for me.

The first attribute of a godly woman I want to take note of is: Humility.

 The Lord taught me huge lessons in humility this semester. I learned a few things. Humility isn't always an easy lesson to learn. Sometimes, it can be learned easily, other times, you may have to kick and scream in order to fully learn the value of it. I know this semester I went through both.

In the dictionary, the word humilty  means: Expressing, reflecting, or offered in a spirit of submission; ranking low in hierarchy or scale; Not costly or luxurious

I thought those definitions were interesting. We first see that humility reflects submission. That was a huge one for me this semester. In order to walk the abundant life God had for me this semester, I was called to submit under His authority in a huge way. One that I had to kick and scream before hand. Yet, as I clung to the Lord through it, and submitted under what He was commanding me to do, I reaped huge blessings. I reaped the fruit of joy, peace, comfort and love. My issue with it all was that I was being disobedient in the first place. So naturally hurt and pain would be the cause of being obedient to Christ. Sometimes, obedience requires everything. I remember when I was being submissive to the Lord, He comforted me with so many verses. One passage of scripture He gave me came out of Luke 14:25-33. If we are disciples of Christ, sometimes we are called to forsake everything we have in order to take up our cross and follow Him. We must sit down and count the cost. In verse 33 it says, "So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple." I knew that laying these things aside in obedience to the Lord was exactly what He wanted...but I was kicking and screaming. He didn't relent until He had it all, and when I finally became obedient, wow was He patient, gracious, and merciful to me. Man, don't you ever think of how lame you are for delaying your responses to God? I know I do. And I can't help but to glorify God in all His patience towards me. I am so undeserving, yet He continues to pursue me in such a beautiful way, and His patience reaches far beyond what I can even fathom. It's incredible.

I eventually reaped blessing after blessing once I was willing to surrender these things to the Lord. It was so hard at first. I questioned, wondered, pondered, Satan tried to make me double think my decision, but God was gracious to continue to comfort me with scripture after scripture, and He even used random people to confirm things He had spoken to me in quiet. Our God is incredible. I knew that forsaking all my own desires and wants for the Lord was going to be a bigger blessing later on, and He really made that clear.

Humility is learning to be submitted, surrendered, and forsaking all we have in order to glorify Christ. There was a sweet precious quote I heard once... it said, "To learn humility is to learn contentment in all circumstances. Humility is not in what we own or achieve, but in maintaining a teachable attitude, a willingness to bend to the will of the Father." I love that. In order to be a woman of humility we must be teachable, but most importantly WILLING. Willing to surrender, sacrifice and submit under anything and everything God requires of us. 

 The second definition was ranking low in hierarchy or society. Think about that. You rank low. In our world's eyes, ranking low is something they don't favor. The world is constantly trying to teach people to push forward, be the best, be first. Pride is huge, and I believe that's why it's one of God's abominable sins. Pride is destructive, and a woman of God resists proud people and proud attitudes. This is so true in the ministry. There is no way God will place you in the ministry unless your prayer is to be invisible and brought low. I've had to learn this lesson a few times, the hard way and the easy way. This semester was one huge blessing after another. I sought after humility with all my heart. The Lord has shown me that this attribute of a Godly woman is so precious. I began to realize that my prayers were no longer wanting to be popular, social, or out there, but I prayed to be brought low so that HE can be exalted in my life. I prayed to be invisible. I prayed to be hidden, unseen, so that I could just truly focus on Him and His word. Then things began happening that I never expected. I got asked to be discipled by an amazing godly woman on staff, women's Bible study opportunities opened up, I got asked to serve on student services next semester, I got asked to be a dorm steward...one thing after another opened. I got the blessed opportunity to help teach Sunday school at our home church. I mean, one thing after another, and each one so unexpected. I was in awe at what God did. I was confused too, thinking, 'How do these people even know who I am? I'm not around often.' Then the Lord reminded me of my prayers. It was because I didn't want to be seen, or noticed, or popular. God will never use popular, haughty or pride people in the ministry and why? Because glory always seems to g back to them, never the One who is robbed of it. Glory belongs to GOD and Him alone. How dare we try and strip Him of the glory He deserves. Humility comes with precious blessings. Ones that I didn't even see coming. And I realize that I, too, can fall at any time. I am not immune to sin, yet I'm prone to wander. My heart is constantly having to look at itself to see whether or not it is pure and acceptable in the sight of the Lord. It's rough sometimes, but it's so needed.


The third and final definition is that humility is not costly or luxurious. I just so love this. Think about the things you desire, the things you own, the things you want in the up coming years. Are they costly? Are they material possessions? I think of clothing as one. I love clothes, and the Lord has taught me over the past few years that buying costly clothing is not necessary. I am just as happy purchasing shirts at Wal Mart than I am going to Express or Gap. Because, truly, I don't need those things. It says in 1 Timothy 2:9-10, "in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or COSTLY CLOTHING, but which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works." Women do not need costly clothing. If you're out shopping and you see a shirt that costs over $50, really, re-consider your options. Even $40 is a bit pricey. Every one has different convictions. I know for me, it just isn't practical to be spending that kind of money on clothing. I never used to be that way. Oh man I used to be spoiled. I'd ask for $200 jeans, $80 dresses, ect. Yet the Lord convicted me, and honestly, I can't stand shopping now. Don't ask me to go to the mall because I won't enjoy myself. And truly, unless I need to go buy something necessary then I'm not going. I probably haven't spent money on clothes in over a year, and I'm okay with that. The Lord had to show me what was truly important. I'm so thankful He did. But it's true...being a woman of humility means you're willing to say no to the luxurious items. You're willing to forsake those costly things in order to do work for the kingdom.


Sometimes it's hard...but it's worth it. One main picture I have in my mind when I think of the word humility is a picture of someone bowing down, lowly, feeble, and weak. I guess it's because as a woman of the Lord, I want to be able to come to Christ in humility, needing His grace, needing His sufficiency and needing His strength. Again, I can't do anything apart from Him. I was feeding on Psalm 16 today and I just love the second part of verse 2. It says, "My goodness is nothing apart from You." That rings true in my life. I can do no good apart from Jesus Christ. I can't even have a civil attitude towards someone unless the grace of my Lord is poured upon me that day. It's crazy how our hearts and minds work apart from the Lord. It's scary. But a woman of humility attains the things that pleases the Lord. She desires that He be first and foremost. She's willing to be molded, shaped, chiseled at, broken down, built back up, torn apart, glued together. I have to continually understand that my days are numbered, and the great God of this universe owns them. It would be a shame, and utter waste for me to live them as if I run them. My heart must be abandoned, surrendered, devoted, unhindered, undivided, and completely on the altar of sacrifice in order for me to glorify Him hour by hour. My prayer must be that I be brought low in order for HIM to be exalted, to be hidden, unseen, set apart from the world and from the craziness of it to spend time with Him, seek Him, love Him, and commune with Him.

I said this over the Summer at our purity conference and I'll say it again. God has given us the most beautiful gift.. communing every day with Him. Seriously, what better relationship could we have other than the one we have with Him? Communing with God shouldn't be just something we do ten minutes out of our day, but rather, every hour of every day. Go to God in prayer in regards to everything. Seek Him out on the deep matters, the little things, the huge things, the miniscule things, the ginormous things...He cares, and it matters.


Your days will pan out so much better with a humbled heart, a willing heart, and a submitted spirit. I love the picture of Mary when she gets word that God has chosen her to be the one who carries Jesus. She bowed her knee and proclaimed, "Let it be to me according to your word." Pure submission, right there. What about Esther as she was called to go to King Ahaseurus and reason with him? Her words were, "I will go to the king, which is against the law; and if I perish, I perish! (v.16)" What about Ruth? When deciding to go with Naomi wherever she went, she declared, "For wherever you go, I will go; and wherever you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God, my God. Where you die, I will die, and there will I be buried." She was willing to go to great heights in order to submit and obey.

Ladies, we must learn this lesson daily. Humility is a beautiful, precious thing to attain. No one loves a proud look, and those who do are usually of the world, so why would we want to gain favor from the ungodly? A few verses to leave with that I think are precious are: 

James 3:13, "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom."

1 Peter 5:5-7, "Likewise, you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility for, 'God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.' Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you."

Matthew 5:5, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."

Colossians 3:12-13, "Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do."  

James 1:21, "Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls."

My prayer as women in the Lord, would be that with hearts bowed, lives surrendered, we would come to a daily realization that to be a woman of godliness means we are to be willing to submit and humble ourselves to whatever the Lord requires of us. These things may be rough to let go of, others may be easy to say goodbye to, but regardless of what God is calling us to do, shouldn't we obey? 

Praying for each and every one of us, to be women who seek out humility daily. For the Lord is the One who desires for us to wear it around us daily. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment